LO1:Know the various tools, techniques and apply suitable tools and techniques in different alternative scenarios of Operations Management.
LO2: Apply information management and evaluate it, evolve and use operations strategy for providing the competitive advantage and make the organization globally competitive.
LO3: Apply and critically evaluate the importance of project management to given business situations (Using PERT/CPM).
LO4: Demonstrate operations strategy in a domestic and global context and how the use of technology has impacted the function of the operations function
Assignment Task 1: – Report Format
Scenario: The learner is acting as an internal Operations Management expert for a chosen organization (ideally a fortune 500 organization delivering products or services). The learner is required to look at existing operations management & quality management processes, procedures & systems within the organization, &, evaluate the competitiveness of the organization in achieving key strategic objectives both in the domestic and global contexts. Where required, compare with other best-in-class organizations to further support your responses to the different parts of the report.
The report should include the following:
1. Executive Summary
2. Introduction of Chosen Organization briefly stating the organizational objectives that can be linked to Operations and Quality processes.
3. Evaluate the success of existing operations management processes & quality management processes in achieving chosen organization’s strategic management objectives. You must do this by conducting a review of the operations strategy of your organization, exploring both the current & long-term solutions to address the challenges your firm is experiencing.
4. Evaluate how each of the following tools and techniques specifically contributes to achieving organizational objectives and competitiveness of your Chosen company in different alternative scenarios of Operations Management, in the domestic and global context:
- Any 2 tools of Operations Management
- Any 2 of the following: FMEA, Benchmarking, Lean manufacturing, 6 Sigma, JIT.
5. Discuss how the information management system enhances the overall business operations of your Chosen organization and analyze the role of ICT applications in Operations optimization in your chosen organization. Evaluate how operational strategies involving the use of ICT applications help gain a competitive advantage in your chosen organization?
6. Discuss how AI can enhance the overall business operations of the organization in both the domestic and global contexts while highlighting challenges the organization may probably face if implemented
Assignment Task – 2:– Project Management using Program Evaluation and Review Technique (PERT) and Critical path method (CPM)
Scenario: Your organization, ABC construction group has made a winning bid to construct a new manufacturing plant. The client expects the plant to be functional within a year. You are assigned as the Project Manager to ensure that the whole project stays on schedule. The two important conditions as per the client contract are:-
- ABC construction group will incur a penalty if the work is not completed by the deadline of 47 weeks from now.
- ABC construction group will be provided additional incentives if the work is completed within 40 weeks.
The table below describes the activity list for the ABC construction group for this project:-
|Activity||Description||Immediate predecessors||Estimated duration|
Lay the foundation
Put up a rough wall
Put up the roof
Install exterior plumbing
Install interior plumbing
Put up exterior siding
Do exterior painting
Do the electric work
Put the wallboard
Install the flooring
For any given activity, its immediate predecessors (as given in the third column of Table) are those activities that must be completed by no later than the starting time of the given activity. (Similarly, the given activity is called an immediate successor of each of its immediate predecessors.) For example, the top entries in this column indicate that:-
- Excavation does not need to wait for any other activities.
- Excavation must be completed before starting to lay the foundation.
- The foundation must be completely laid before starting to put up the rough wall, etc.
When a given activity has more than one immediate predecessor, all must be finished before the activity can begin. In order to schedule the activities, you have consulted with each of the crew supervisors to develop an estimate of how long each activity should take when it is done in the normal way. These estimates are given in the rightmost column of the Table. Adding up these times gives a grand total of 79 weeks, which is far beyond the deadline for the project. Fortunately, some of the activities can be done in parallel, which substantially reduces the project completion time.
Given all this information, please develop answers to the following questions develop a project network diagram to visually display the whole project and describe the project network diagram–
Schedule the whole project with PERT/CPM. In doing so, you must be able to satisfy these crucial objectives:-
- Total time required to complete the project if no delays occur
- The start and finish of individual activities to meet the project completion deadline
- The start and finish of individual activities if no delays occur
- Critical activities where any delays must be avoided to prevent delaying project completion
- The delay can be tolerated for other activities, without delaying project completion.