HIS206: United States History II (HIR2318B)
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, review the following required resources:
• Read Chapters 1,2, and 3 of your course textbook.
• Read the Irish Stereotype article thoroughly.
• Choose the group that you plan to focus on during this course and in your Final Project. You must choose from the groups listed below:
o African Americans o Native Americans/American Indians o Women o Immigrants
Include your chosen group in your discussion title. Based on the chapters in your textbook and the required article, answer the following:
• What are some of the ways that restrictions and beliefs based on race, ethnicity, gender, and national origin shaped American society in the latter half of the 1800s?
• Assess how these restrictions shaped your chosen group’s experience of the industrial revolution or westward expansion.
• Explain the changes that members of your chosen group made possible during this period.
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Your post should make reference to the required materials with in-text citations. Your references and citations must be formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Style resource. For help with this, see the Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper resource. You may use additional scholarly sources to support your points if you choose.