Academic Essay Options ( 5 page double-spaced)
1. Compare the work of two or more writers from this semester based on a criterion, or criteria, that you establish in your thesis. (E.g., One finds the quality of X in the poetry of both Writer 1 and Writer 2). Only one of the writers has to be one of the writers we read. So, for example, you can compare the poetry of Brathwaite to the rap of Common (as Chyna did in our discussion- don’t steal her idea, lol), or you can compare the styles of two or more writers we have read, such as Neruda, Cèsaire and Senghor. If you don’t feel confident writing an essay like this, reach out to me with your draft or for ideas.
2. Expand any of the work you did in an assignment or a discussion prompt into an essay by gathering a little more research to develop the idea and support it with source material (articles, scholarship from the library databases) other than just textual examples. (For example, the quote below* could serve as a foundation for an essay on Senghor and the qualities of his work.)
3. Research the relationship between dub poetry, spoken word poetry, rap, etc. This is more of a history essay and may not exactly touch on our class work unless you are able to work in some of our authors, and that’s okay -it still allows you to learn about literary genre.
4. Make a connection between any of our course material and something you have learned in another class. Self-plagiarism is okay with me in context of this assignment (for example, if you want to use some of your paragraphs that you wrote on your essay in History class about the Middle East conflict). It is so rewarding when we connect ideas across our classes! For example, you might see the philosophy of X (some theory you learned about in Philosophy class) reflected in the writing of Writer Y.
5. You are an academic (a professor, a scholar, whatever) writing an article or giving a conference presentation at the Western Teachers’ Association (I made this association up). This is a conference for American secondary school and college teachers/professors. Write your essay as an article or presentation script to this audience in which you propose a restructuring of the use of the Western literary canon in American* classes. What should stay? What should go? What are strategies for engaging students in the material? What are some specific lessons you suggest? This is an open topic that you should unrestrainedly be creative and have fun with. You can embed pictures or links if you like but visual content should not “fill in” your page requirement if you know what I mean. (*Or in the country you live in- you can customize this essay to reflect your own country of origin and its literary curriculum.)
6. Pitch me a topic if you don’t like any of these.
The post Academic Essay Options ( 5 page double-spaced)
1. Compare the work of two or mor appeared first on blitzarchive.com.